At Premise, we are proud to support young professionals as they embark upon their careers in engineering and its related disciplines. Travis Dunkley, a Bachelor of Engineering student from the University of Queensland, recently completed work experience with our Brisbane team. Here’s what Travis had to share about his time at Premise:
1. What motivated you to apply for work experience with Premise?
I was looking for a head start in getting real work experiences for myself early in my University degree. Additionally, I was hoping to better my prospects of future employment by improving my resume at an early stage in my career.
2. What have you enjoyed the most about your time here?
Going out to visit the various sites has probably been one of the main highlights of my work experience. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to help with inspections and listening to on-site meetings. This allowed me to gain a greater knowledge of what exactly the job of a civil engineer entails. By observing the practical side of engineering, it has allowed me to understand the theoretical side to a greater degree.
3. What would be your advice for students in getting the most out of your work placement?
My one major piece of advice would be try to go out on-site as much as possible. I found that I was able to learn a lot through just listening in to conversations on site. Also, ask questions! If you don’t understand something, ask, and you will gain a much better understanding of things rather than trying to work it out for yourself.
4. Would you come back to Premise?
Definitely, everyone has been very welcoming and have helped me to get the most out of my time here.
5. Now that you’ve done a bit more work experience, are you still keen on civil engineering, or would you like to try other disciplines?
I am still keen on civil engineering, my time here has helped solidify the fact that it is something that I do enjoy and would be able to do for the rest of my career.
6. Would you like to relay a message to the people you worked with over the last 4 weeks?
I would just like to thank everyone who helped me out and gave me work to do. I would also like to especially thank Alex, Matt and Richard for taking me out on site with them.