Location: Jellinbah, Bowen Basin, QLD
Client: Jellibah Coal
Specs: 1.5 gigalitres, 32 hectares
Premise Engineering was appointed by our client, Jellinbah Coal, to undertake design and construction supervision of a de-watering, ‘regulated structure’ dam for their Central Operations. This significant upgrade would mean the dam, west of Rockhampton, offered 1.5 gigalitres in capacity and spanned a total area of 32 hectares.
The Jellinbah Dam was constructed behind the existing high-wall. Our design brief was multifaceted, and needed to address:
- De-watering storage for the surrounding coal mine site
- Compliance issues relating to mine inspections and water licences
- Safeguards to protect existing mine site infrastructure in case of major rain
- Provisions for spillways, water release and metering in major rain events
- Despite challenges, such as constructing the dam wall during Queensland’s wet season, Premise Engineering was able to design and deliver a successful project for our client. We are proud to have met such a rigorous brief, and to have completed the Jellinbah Dam upgrade on schedule.