Location: Brisbane, QLD
Client: Pensar Infrastructure Group/ Brisbane City Council
Specs: $2 million construction
In August 2017, Pensar Infrastructure Group was awarded the contract to construct a new footbridge across Breakfast Creek by Brisbane City Council. The new footbridge was intended to provide Ashgrove residents with a direct route across the creek, and offer greater local connectivity.
Premise was engaged by Pensar to provide structural site supervision and certification of the works. The project involved the construction of a new 30 metre long, two span footbridge across Breakfast Creek. The footbridge was constructed using pre-fabricated steel girders with a reinforced concrete deck. Construction works also included significant creek remediation, to minimize flooding and stabilize the embankment.
When assembled, the bridge girder sections each weighed approximately 30-tonnes, and were installed at a range of 28 metres using a 350-tonne crane. Premise conducted periodic inspections to confirm that Pensar’s construction achieved the performance requirements set by Brisbane City Council drawings.
The bridge was open to the public just six weeks after placement of the girders. The project was completed on-time and under budget, with a satisfied client. Pensar reported zero lost time injuries over the project lifespan. The local Ashgrove community has already begun to benefit from this important local infrastructure.
Construction scope of works
– Installation of a new 30 metre two span footbridge across Breakfast Creek
– Stone pitched abutment protection to creek
– Significant creek rehabilitation and stabilisation works
– Construction of a temporary piling platform to facilitate the demolition of the aged existing bridge
– Installation of two earth retaining walls
– Significant landscaping and hardscaping works
Premise scope of works
– Periodical site inspection and certification of works associated with construction, including:
– Reinforced concrete substructure
– Reinforced concrete deck
– Relieving slab and joints
– U Frame steel superstructure
– Development and Certification of Existing Tennis Avenue Pedestrian Bridge Demolition Methodology
– Development and Certification of Pensar’s Cranage Calculations
PROJECT VALUE: $2 million construction cost
DIMENSIONS: 29.6m Long (Span 1: 22 metres and Span 2: 7.6m) x 3.9m wide deck
PEOPLE POWER: 230 inducted to site
– Completion of piling in challenging creek conditions
– The community will now benefit from a new creek crossing with improved accessibility and longevity